Wednesday, August 31, 2011

California: Week 1

I realize I've been living in California for a week now and have had no chance whatsoever to update this blog. In fact this morning on my bus ride to work was the first time I was even able to really talk to my mom at all, which if you know me, you know that's a long time.

I've only been here a week but it feels like I've been in California for a month at least. Last week was a whirlwind of meeting, greeting and getting to know and explore. I made it to Los Angeles two hours late and got to the hotel where I crashed right away. Came to the apartment the next day and found a almost furnished, not too clean but ready enough for me to move into. The program leaders decided to add a new intern house, several more interns and more projects to the program within the last month, so there was apparently a panic to find and fill the apartment I'm living in right now. It's a great little place, according my standards. Two floors, two bedrooms, lots of great furniture - considering it was all donated by church folks within the last two weeks - and a little patio area where I plan on growing some plants and herbs.

The other twenty interns I'll be working and living with are really great. We're diverse geographically, spiritually, racially and in several other ways. So far, it has been good. The first four days of the program were filled with a lot of time with inters (see 12-hour days of getting to know you games and orientation materials). This weekend we went to Venice beach. I started work on Monday and everything there has been great, too.

So much has happened its hard to think of all the details I want and need to record, so for now that'll be all. I'll post more particular information about what's been and will happen as it happens. For now, all is well. I'm happy, busy and absolutely in the right place at the right time.


This is Glendale, the city where I live now, not far from my house


That's Christina, Sarah, me and Hannah. We live together in Glendale House.


Downtown LA from the Dodger Stadium.


Downtown Glendale.


Venice Beach, CA.



Muscle Beach! It was empty for some reason when I came by.


Along the Venice Beach boardwalk, the "world's smallest front yard."




Mine and Sarah's bedroom.




This is St Mark's the church we're associated with and where all the amazing furniture came from.


Dryden St E, the street we live on.


The apartment building! I'll post pictures of the front patio when we've got furniture and plants out there... once my vision from the space has been accomplished.


Living room, from the kitchen of the apartment.


My new office at the food pantry!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are going to have a wonderful time of learning, growing and healing! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete