Sunday, June 26, 2011

Leaving Venezuela

So here I am: everything is packed, our last dinner has been served and I'm leaving the apartment in about 6 and a half hours (yes, that does mean I'm leaving here at 2:30AM). At the far end of six weeks, it all did go by very quickly, of course. 

Given the surprises and difficulties that came up in this trip, I did not have the experience I had hoped or planed for. I knew of course that you can't plan these trips, but it was a much different emotional and personal experience that I had banked on or prepared for. However, there is something to be said for having your worst fear come true, and in such crazy circumstances on top of it, at the end of the day. I'm not through the grieving or processing yet, but I have come a long way in a month, and being home with my friends and family will only make it better. But this experience has been really marvelous and incredible. 

There's not much more to say, other than I had a great time and I'm glad it's over at the same time. I'm ready to go home and spend the summer with my family and friends and so grateful for the things I saw, did and learned here. 

Here's a picture of me and my host parents this evening. My dad, Rigoberto, was on the phone and Lenny's, my mom, wanted the picture to happen right away.


Finally, for those interested, I will be keeping this blog up during the summer and future months as I continue to travel and discover new things. So please feel free to keep following!

No comments:

Post a Comment